Sunday, May 3, 2009

May 1 first part of our Route 66 trip

Yesterday was a very long hard day. We all were going on very little sleep.
While waiting for the others to get up & going John, Beekers & I went back to take a look at Shoshone falls. We were on the road by 9:15. On the way out of town we stopped at the only bridge in the country that legally allows base jumping. It was raining when we left but soon cleared & we had pretty good weather for most of the trip to Yellowstone.
We had to go stop at a Walmart pharmacy in Burley ID. There was a Volkswagon Beetle with 4 big dogs that Rudy was teasing. (see pic).
We then stopped in Idaho Falls. Thought about going through a museum but time got away so we just squished some pennies & took some pictures of the beautiful falls & some great buildings. Mike was trying to get a cute little squirrel to come to him. It almost did.
We saw lots of snow as we got closer to Yellowstone but it was a warm 50 degrees & dry. Mary was a little under dressed. See picture of her in bare feet in the snow with all of our traveling companions.
What an amazing trip through Yellowstone. We saw Bison, Elk, swan and of course Old Faithful. By the time we got to Old Faithful it was raining & cold 40 degrees.
We were all very tired & hungry so we decided to stay in W. Yellowstone for the night.
This will make for a very long drive on Sunday.
I only got 3 ½ hours sleep on Friday night so you would think I would sleep great tonight but NO…
I woke up at 3:30 & decided to do some blogging. I looked out the window to see snow on the cars.
Well it is now 5:45 & I think I will try to get some more sleep.
Here is a link to our first set of pictures.
http://picasaweb.google.com/beccizzz/FirstPartOfTheRoute66Trip?feat=directlink

2 comments:

  1. Well it looks like your having lots of fun. But why can't you sleep, are you to excited? I couldn't believe the Bison on the roads. The pictures are great...sorry I missed you this morning on IM and I hope you did get some more sleep. I will call you later today. Love Pattie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome pictures! Despite the long days driving, I sure wish I was with you guys! Looking forward to more travelogues. :)

    ReplyDelete